Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Marina's Mondays


Beef Enchilada
Do you ever crave Mexican food? Last night, I had the biggest itch for some mexican cuisine, and I knew exactly where to get my fix. As well known Louisiana is for its incredible food, the Mexican cuisine seems to be lacking from city to city (and you can ask anyone from Texas and they will be sure to back that up). Last night, I decided to drop in to Marina’s off of College next to The Station. The place is decorated like a fresh Cinco de Mayo celebration just ended, but you can tell you are in for some delicious home cooking. We were just in time for 2-for-1 (ends at 7), so I had time to really look deeply through the menu before I made my decision. Fresh chips and salsa were brought to our table with our first round of margaritas, and boy was I blown away. As margaritas were 2-for-1 until 7, I decided that I was going to start with my first one on the rocks and the second one would be a frozen one.  The first one was absolutely delicious. Many places try to overpower it either with strength in the alcohol or too much margarita mix, but my man at Marina’s knows what he is doing. You could tell how strong the margarita was, but it never overpowered you, and was quite refreshing after a long day.
Chimichanga Plate
     Their menu (which unfortunately is not on the internet) had a wide range of excellently priced dishes that made my decision really hard to choose. Seafood enchiladas, tamales, flautas, tacos, fajitas, the list went on and on. I decided to try one beef enchilada and one chicken chimichanga dinner plate. On the dinner plate it came with rice and refried beans. The rice, typically very dry at other places around the area, was well seasoned and cooked perfectly (a huge plus in my eyes, dry rice is a killer of any good Mexican dish). The refried beans were great as well, but the chimichanga! What an incredibly delightful surprise that was! For anyone who doesn’t know what a chimichanga is, a chimichanga is essentially a deep fried burrito covered in a ranchero sauce and cheese. Now, I have only had a chimichanga once before in my life and wasn’t a huge fan; but for some reason, it was calling my name this time and I pulled the trigger on it. The ranchero sauce on top wasn’t overcompensating for some mediocre cooked meal, but complemented the fried burrito just the way it is intended to. The chicken was moist and flawlessly cooked with a great tenderness. Every forkful pulled away was the right amount of chicken, burrito, and sauce—a very hard task to pull off. I was supremely impressed with the meal, and it all came to under $20 for everything I ate (which, was too much for a typical eater). The restaurant offers a great family atmosphere, but I also could see myself there on a date, or for a Cinco de Mayo style celebration. It definitely lends itself to numerous occasions, but one thing is common: the food is stellar.

Marina's Mexican Cuisine
4608 Bennington Ave  Baton Rouge, LA 70808
(225) 925-5005

Marina's Mexican Cuisine on Urbanspoon
Happy Eating, Baton Rouge!
Eat 225

No comments:

Post a Comment